Hemorrhoids in Arizona
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, also called piles, are swollen veins in the lower anus or rectum. The condition typically occurs in the event that the vein walls in the anus or rectum become so thin that the veins bulge or protrude. Hemorrhoids can present internally (within the rectum) or externally (on the anus).
Hemorrhoids are quite common. In fact, almost three-fourths of adults will experience hemorrhoids occasionally. In some occurrences, a blood clot will develop within a hemorrhoid (referred to as a thrombosed hemorrhoid) and can result in pain or discomfort. The board-certified gastroenterologists at Arizona Digestive Health specialize in working to resolve this common condition as well as other gastrointestinal (GI) problems. To locate treatment for hemorrhoids in Phoenix, AZ, please contact our office as soon as possible.
What causes hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are likely to be the result of many possible factors. Reasons a hemorrhoid might occur can include:
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Being pregnant
- Ongoing diarrhea
- The natural aging process
- Ongoing constipation
- Straining too hard to perform a physical activity (such as weight lifting)
- Family history of hemorrhoids
- Straining during bowel movements
What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Presentation of piles vary because of the area affected by the hemorrhoids, but frequently include:
- Pink, blue, or purple bumps that protrude around the anus
- Pain around the anus while conducting physical activities
- Itching around one's anus
- Bright red blood in one's stool
- Pain and/or inflammation around the anus
- Discomfort during bowel movements
What are the treatments for hemorrhoids?
Sometimes, smaller hemorrhoids may resolve on their own within a week or less. Your Arizona Digestive Health provider may choose to prescribe pharmaceutical drugs or suggest at-home remedies to relieve the irritating symptoms of hemorrhoids. When larger hemorrhoids occur, however, medical involvement is available in Phoenix, AZ and may be required to remove or address the hemorrhoid. Typical hemorrhoid treatment includes:
- Tub baths multiple times daily in warm water
- Good hygiene, specifically in the anal region
- Treatment of constipation or the primary cause of the hemorrhoids
- Applying topical ointment
- A high fiber diet
- Avoiding the use of dry toilet paper
- Ice packs for reduction of anal swelling
- Draining a clotted hemorrhoid (thrombosis)
- Hemorrhoid stapling
- Surgical intervention
- Ligation using rubber bands
Timely treatment for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids most often don't progress to serious health concerns, but they can certainly be bothersome and interfere with your quality of life. If you are in need of hemorrhoid treatment in Phoenix, AZ, our specialists are happy to to assist. Please reach out to Arizona Digestive Health today to reserve an appointment with a GI doctor.
Very friendly and efficient. I would surely return again.
The dr was very straight forward, explained everything to me, and didn't use alot of medical terms.
Listened to my concerns and what we could do Great bedside manner
Dr Hutchinson, is very attentive and has good bed side manner with his patients and explains everything to you.
Very very professional