Diseases of the Gallbladder in Arizona
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder stores and releases bile to help with digestive processes. Diseases of the gallbladder include any conditions that negatively impact the function of the gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Gallstones- Hardened particles of digestive fluid block the bile ducts and the passageway to the gallbladder.
- Cholecystitis- Inflammation of the gallbladder. Can be caused by gallstones. When not addressed, the gallbladder can shrink and stop releasing bile.
- Choledocholithiasis- A gallstone gets lodged in the exit pathway of the gallbladder, causing the gallbladder to become inflamed.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease- The gallbladder becomes inflamed in the absence of gallstones.
- Biliary dyskinesia- The gallbladder performs at a lower than normal function level.
- Sclerosing cholangitis- Ongoing inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that leads to scarring.
Should you be afflicted with any of the conditions above, know that you have expert help close at hand through Arizona Digestive Health. To locate a gastroenterologist in Phoenix, AZ, contact our team and obtain a partner in guiding you toward better digestive health.
What causes gallbladder disease?
Many gallbladder issues arise because of the formation of gallstones. Gallstones form when cholesterol and other substances found in liver bile clot together and harden. There also may be tumors, infections, or blood vessel issues that keep the bile from draining from the gallbladder correctly. No matter the cause of your gallbladder condition, you can receive skilled assistance through Arizona Digestive Health. Our providers are partnered with the nation's leading physician-led network of gastroenterologists, and we look forward to evaluating your condition and finding the ideal path for treatment.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
If you have a gallbladder condition, your symptoms might include:
- Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Severe abdominal pain, especially in your upper right or center abdomen
Should you experience any of these concerning GI tract symptoms, contact an expert gastroenterologist in Phoenix, AZ right away.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The most ideal way to prevent the formation of gallstones is to maintain a healthy weight and consume a healthy diet. Most gallbladder diseases can be identified with an ultrasound. Your provider may suggest additional imaging tests such as a CT or MRI scan. Possible treatments for your condition could include:
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Fasting- this can give your inflamed gallbladder a rest and decrease inflammation.
- Pain relief medication
Contact us todayFind A Provider Find A Location
Innovative gallbladder disease treatment
If you have a gallbladder condition like gallstones, cholecystitis, or biliary dyskinesia, you can be diagnosed and treated by one of our Arizona Digestive Health providers. Should you experience any troubling symptoms related to your digestive tract, it is vital for you to contact an expert gastroenterologist in Phoenix, AZ right away. Our location is equipped with the latest in innovative treatment options for patients with gallbladder disease. Contact Arizona Digestive Health to have your gallbladder disease assessed and treated.
I'm very happy with Doctor Mills. He is very knowledgeable and very patient about explaining everything.
Very professional, listens well and reacted fast to my situation. Upper GI caught a problem brewing in the mist of an very bad gallbladder. Which are both taken care of in a fraction of time other doctors took many years of sugar coating as it progressively got a lot worst. Thank You!!!
The staff and Dr Gelzayd were very helpful and competent during my recent procedure. They answered all my questions and treated me with the upmost concern. I have been using Dr Gelzayd for about 17 years
They were great and found out what the problem was and gave me the medicine to get me well. Nice people and special thanks to Dr. Van Dam.
Great experience so far with Dr Mann