Key Actions to Keep Your Gut Healthy This Summer
Summertime is headed our way which, for the majority of us, translates to fun in the sun and much-needed vacation time. Before breaking out your beach towels, don't lose sight of how important it is to maintain helpful habits that can amplify your gut health. With temps on the incline and lounge chairs poised to recline, your gut health is likely to take a beating over the summer. At Arizona Digestive Health, our GI specialists have set our goal to bring you the treatment and education you need and deserve in order to benefit from a digestive system in optimal health. Read on as our Phoenix, AZ team explains the best ways to protect your gut health over the summer.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
Summer can be brutal on your gut health, causing a healthy gut to struggle and making any pre-existing GI situations worse. Some of the main factors that can open the door to poor gut health and problematic gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, are:
- Dehydration: High temps translate to your body consuming fluids to keep cool at a faster rate, and you might not be up to speed with replacing used fluids.
- Lack of consistent eating habits: In the event that you are traveling or treating yourself to summer indulgences, it can be difficult to think ahead to plans for a nutritious meal.
- Exhaustion: Summer functions might leave you running low on energy, which in turn, impacts your gut health.
If you suffer from a pre-existing GI problem, the choice to watch your summer months carefully can mean the difference between summer months spent in healthy relaxation and a summertime endured in complete discomfort. To get additional information regarding ways you can remain in control of your specific GI issues, reach out to any one of our expert gastrointestinal physicians in Phoenix, AZ.
How does one sustain good gut health during the summer months?
With some careful planning, one can maintain a healthy gut over the summer. Soak up your vacations or relaxing pool days comfortable in the fact that you’re taking measures to ensure your gut also has a marvelous time. Some of the primary ways you can keep up your summertime health include:
- Drink water: Remain hydrated, specifically in the event that you are spending time in the sun and sweating profusely. Dehydration can cause constipation, along with additional problematic digestive concerns.
- Consume fiber-rich foods: Eat some dark green vegetables and get some fabulous summer fruits to your diet to supplement your fiber intake, which aids digestion.
- Give probiotics a try: Your digestive system maintains a precise level of helpful bacteria. One way you can supercharge your digestive health is by lending support to those good bacteria with probiotic-rich food and supplements.
- Plan meals strategically: All those summer indulgences like barbeque, soda, and ice cream are fun in small amounts, but it is important to plan ahead for healthy evening meals to avoid putting your digestive system into overdrive.
- Get a good amount of exercise: Be on the lookout for extreme humidity or heat watches, but a pleasant jog around your neighborhood before the sun is high is a fabulous way to keep your digestive system moving.
When should I consult with a specialist about gut health?
If you experience any of the following symptoms consistently during your summertime celebrations, you should seek an Arizona Digestive Health specialist to help identify the source as soon as possible:
- Pain in your abdomen
- Chronic diarrhea
- Persistent heartburn
If you have symptoms such as blood in your stool, reach out to a gastroenterology physician in Phoenix, AZ as soon as possible.
Sustain a healthy summertime gut
The summertime months can force your gut to work excessively to make sure your body stays healthy and functioning properly. Give your gut the gift of good health during the summer break, and be sure to practice habits that support wellness and that will keep you partying strong until the end of August. If you need help or support managing a GI malady during the summer months, don't hesitate to contact our practice to connect with a GI doctor in Phoenix, AZ. Our doctor-led network of gastrointestinal physicians strives to provide patient-centric service to individuals just like you. Call Arizona Digestive Health today to learn more.